Jump to: The Future • Why Become a Member? • Student Opportunities • Residency • Social Media
THE FUTURE OF THE FAMILY MEDICINE REVOLUTION STARTS HERE.
Family physicians are an invaluable resource for patients, their communities, and an evolving health care system. Family medicine offers a medical career of diversity and flexibility. It provides significant opportunities while allowing you to be the kind of physician you want to be.
With nine medical schools and 29 family medicine residencies in rural, suburban and urban communities, Pennsylvania offers a wealth of resources for those pursuing a career in medicine. Our programs and our communities offer something for everyone.
Check out the video below to see what medical students and residents are saying about their passion!
WHY BECOME A STUDENT PAFP MEMBER?
The first thing you need to know is - it's free for Pennsylvania medical students! And of course, we wouldn't ask you to join if you wouldn't benefit!
Become a student member of AAFP and PAFP to get connected to family medicine - clinical journals, research, scholarship and leadership opportunities are just some of the benefits of membership. You'll be in the loop so you don't miss any opportunities. Join today!
ARE OTHER OPPORTUNITIES AND INFORMATION AVAILABLE?
Of course! Check out the grid below to learn everything you'll want to know about being a student member of the Pennsylvania Academy of Family Physicians.
Membership in the PAFP and AAFP opens a window to great leadership opportunities, giving you a head start on the skills and tools you'll need to be an effective family physician!
- Available leadership opportunities: If you've got a desire to lead, we've got a spot for you! Students are represented on the PAFP Board of Directors, in commissions, and as delegates.
- Meet your student leaders: Say hello to your elected student leaders! They'll gladly answer any questions you might have about student involvement in the PAFP.
- Teaching awards: In medical school, you've been lucky to learn from teaching physicians who have played an important role in your life - helping you get closer to your dream of being the best physician you can be. Honor those who have inspired you most, both by their example and their teaching.
- Summer opportunities: Designed to give you a unique and rewarding experience during the summer between your first and second years, this list of opportunities gives you plenty to choose from!
The PAFP offers plenty of help as you navigate the sometimes difficult waters of your college career! It won't always be easy, but it will absolutely be worth your while!
- Family Medicine Interest Groups (FMIGs): Family medicine interest groups (FMIGs) are the face of Family Medicine at the medical schools. Run by talented student volunteers and supported by the PAFP and AAFP, these student groups plan events, bring speakers and workshops to campus, and link students to important conferences and scholarship opportunities.
- CV tips and samples: While you may not have had the experience of preparing a formal CV (“course of life”), you are already familiar with its function and the type of information needed from your applications for employment, college, or for that matter, medical school. We can get you started!
It's the elephant in the room: Studying medicine can be expensive. Here's how we can help.
- Loan repayment programs: Physician loan repayment programs are offered on state and local levels that match primary care physicians to the physician shortage areas that need them in exchange for repayment of medical school debt. Learn more about the recent enhancements in these programs resulting from health care reform.
- You can afford this!: Presented at the 2009 Clinical Camp Conference and here for your continued enjoyment and information, view Dr. Goedecker's presentation, "You Can Afford to be a Family Physician," and find more resources from the 2009 Clinical Camp.
Conferences and Events
With membership in the PAFP, a whole world of exciting conferences, meetings and events opens before you!
- Research Day: Come present your original research to a friendly, supportive audience at the PAFP and Foundation's Research Day. We can even help cover your travel expenses!
- National Conference: With hundreds of exhibitors and dozens of workshops and open business meetings, the AAFP's National Conference provides a wonderful opportunity to learn about family medicine. Scholarships are available to support your participation!
- Clinical Camp: Clinical Camp is a hands-on program providing medical students immersion into a variety of clinical procedures commonly performed in family medicine.
- Other student events: Click the link for an event calendar!
A ROADMAP TO YOUR FUTURE: THINKING AHEAD TO RESIDENCY
It's never too early to begin thinking about residency, and the PAFP has plenty of great things in store for when you're matched to a Pennsylvania residency program. The Residency Program Collaborative (RPC) teaches systems change to improve care at residency program clinics, which are often safety net practices. The RPC seeks to enhance coordination and patient-centered care by teaching the Patient-Centered Medical Home model, the basis for quality primary care in today's rapidly changing health care environment.
We've put Pennsylvania's 32 family medicine residency programs on the map! Where would you like to end up?
- Click here for an alphabetical directory of the family medicine residency programs!
- Click here for fellowship programs in Pennsylvania!
STUDENTS AND SOCIAL MEDIA
Find us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter! Additionally, Molly Talley, Director of Resident and Student Initiatives, has created a Twitter List of recommended #hcsm social media outlets here.